Wednesday Apr 16

History In Grenada

The Grenada Electricity Services Ltd. (GRENLEC) is the sole provider of electricity to the state of Grenada, comprised of the islands of Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique.  Since 1960, the company has been providing integrated services of generation, transmission and distribution of electricity to citizens of the East Caribbean nation. 

Today, we serve more than 40,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers through a workforce of more than 200 employees.  Headquartered in St. George’s, Grenada, GRENLEC’s operations are conducted from four offices on the mainland Grenada, one in Carriacou and one in Petite Martinique.

GRENLEC owns and operates one main generating station in Grenada with an installed capacity of 39MW.  A 1.920MW station in Carriacou and a 483KW station in Petite Martinique complete the production facilities.  The Company owns a distribution network with approximately 220 miles of 11KV distribution lines.  In September 2009, we commissioned two sub-stations and a 33KV transmission network to enhance capacity in the south of Grenada and improve the reliability of the distribution system.  The company is also actively exploring renewable energy sources in Grenada and Carriacou to augment production processes.

Since its privatisation in 1994, GRENLEC has risen to the challenge of providing safe and reliable service by investing in our employees, our business and our communities.  In the face of globalisation, and the advancement of modern technology, we have successfully developed new ways to continue "Serving the Nation".


History Timelime


1928

Grenada gets electricity.  Supply managed by the Government of Grenada under the Public Works Department.

1960

Grenada Electricity Services Limited (GRENLEC) had its beginnings.  The company was incorporated on 27th September, 1960, and created by an Act passed in the Grenada Legislative Council on 7th November, 1960.  The private liability Company was a subsidiary of the Commonwealth Development Corporation (C.D.C.) With the Government of Grenada as a shareholder.

Generating capacity:  1850 kilowatts, serving approximately 550 customers

1961

The Electricity Supply Ordinance gave the Company the sole and exclusive license to generate, transmit, distribute and sell electricity in Grenada for a period of eighty (80) years with effect from 1st January, 1961. 

The Authorized Share Capital was 400,000 shares.  Each share cost $5.00 with 323,704 issued and fully paid.

1982

The Government of Grenada purchased the Commonwealth Development Corporation's shares in the utility and became the sole owner of the Company.  Generating capacity:  8,355 kilowatts, serving 10,564 customers.

1986

GRENLEC embarked on an expansion program, during which many villages were electrified.

1992

The Government of Grenada takes the decision to divest its shares in the Company, as part of its structural adjustment program.  The aim of the divestment was to introduce capital into the Company for development projects, to ease the burden on public funds, and to encourage a transfer of technology from the more developed countries to Grenada.

1993

Government took steps to convert GRENLEC to a public company in December 1993.

1994

The Government of Grenada sold 50% of its shares to a U.S. investor in 1994.  It retained 10% and sold the remainder of the shares to employees, Grenadian and Caribbean nationals.

Beyond Privatisation (1994)

GRENLEC has experienced phenomenal growth, computerisation its billing, accounting and other major functions.  These innovations and new infrastructure have led to greater efficiency.

2008

GRENLEC celebrated 80 years of electricity service and the company’s pivotal role in bringing energy to 99.5% of communities in Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique.  The anniversary provided the occasion for reflection on the company’s ‘Gleaming Past’ and a platform to launch its strategic plan ‘Vision 2013’, as it embarks on ‘A Golden Future’.

Generating Capacity

The generating installed capacity moved from 1850 kilowatts in 1960, to 8,355 kilowatts in 1982 a 25,075 kilowatts in 1994 and 40,000 kilowatts in 2003.

Electricity for All (1960-2003)

Customers consequently moved from approximately 550 in1960 to 10,564 in 1982, 25,554 in 1996 and 40,012 in 2003 - with approximately 99.5% of the country electrified.